Learn more about Mormons

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Week 8 ~ April 14, 2014

  

This week started off with an early morning run in the down pouring rain. Three laps around our apartment complex being completely soaked never felt so good and I never thought that I would ever say that, because running was never my thing. Before my mission, my hips would hurt so bad after barely running a half mile. I know that Heavenly Father has truly blessed me to be able to run long distances on my mission without my hips hurting at all. It truly is a tender mercy since all I have ever known about exercise was dance. 

This week has been a week full of miracles. There are miracles every day and all I desire to do is recognize them. In our weekly planning session, (not this past Friday, but the Friday before) we take the time to plan out goals for the week. For example, how many lessons we can teach to investigators, how many investigators will come from those lessons, how many referrals we can receive and contact, and so many more goals. God truly helped us to achieve our goals. We exceeded each one of our goals that we made. We had so many teaching opportunities this week and we found three new investigators and taught them the Restoration. Angel, Courtnie, and Lawanna. I am so thankful for the many teaching opportunities we had this week. I have found that bearing simple testimony about any part of the gospel is so powerful, along with sharing "AHA" moments in the Book of Mormon with everyone. Sharing personal experiences with others from likening the scriptures to ourselves is so powerful. There is power that comes from the Book of Mormon. I always think of the primary song "Scripture Power". I feel the Spirit more each day I read. People love to hear those moments, I challenge you all to share a verse from the Book of Mormon that is personally meaningful to you, to someone. It truly helps them to find "AHA" moments for themselves.

Tradeoffs also happened and I was able to go to the White House ward area again for a day that I talked about in a past letter. I had a goal to work on improving my communicating teaching skills and I had experiences where that was able to happen. I was with my Sister Training leader, Sister Allred and we had an appointment to visit with a member named Betty who hasn't been attending church lately. We had plans help her understand the importance of attending church and those plans turned into helping her commit to keep the commandments of daily scripture reading, prayer, and attending church. The spirit was so strong and countenance in her face changed, she had the desire to do those things. We invited her to come to a scripture study class later on in the evening and she said she would do all she could to come, depending on if her schedule freed up. We didn't see her at scripture class, but near the end of the night I remembered the importance of following up as Elder Ballard challenged us to do in General Conference. "If we follow up, the Lord will not let us down. I have seen the unspeakable joy that accompanies testimony-driven inviting and faithful follow-up among members of the Church the world over." Sister Allred and I called Betty to follow up with her and let her know we missed her, and she went out of her way and asked what chapter we studied in scripture class because she wanted to study it. That was amazing to hear! The Book of Mormon is the keystone to conversion.
I have seen the blessings of following up with everyone as Sister Call and I have made a goal to apply that principle more in missionary work and now I am kind of obsessed with following up!

We also got a new car. A new new car. A 2014 silver Corolla. It's really nice! We feel a little spoiled driving it, but we appreciate it.

On Easter Sunday, Sister Call and I are singing in the choir. We are singing "He Sent His Son" and "Did You See Him In the Garden" I love that song so much. It's beautiful. If you can, look it up. I love our Savior Jesus Christ. I am so thankful for Him. I know that he is the Son of God.

I love all of you with ALL of my heart and I continue to pray for each and every one of you.

Love, Sister McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment