Learn more about Mormons

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Week 5 ~ March 24, 2014


This week flew by! Missionary life is literally described as one whole week shoved into one day. There is so much to be done and get accomplished that it's so hard to remember the faces we met and who we saw. I found a way to remember who I saw throughout the day. Every time Sister Call and I met someone (because we talk to everyone and introduce the gospel), I record their name and what I learned about them in my iPad. I remember sharing a recap of who we met one day with Sister Call, and we didn't realize it at first, but we had a great reminder of the South and that we are truly in the Bible belt. Everyone belongs in a religion of some sort but this is who we met in one day, a Jewish-Hindu-Buddhist, Christian, Presbyterian, a few Catholics, Lutheran, and non-denominational. They are all wonderful people! We met a man named Russ. He went on "Opera" for a religious book that he wrote that is on Amazon's best seller right now. He showed us his car that "Opera" herself gave to him. That was pretty cool! Not only that, but he knows a lot of service opportunities that Sister Call and I can become involved with! The blessings of talking to everyone are infinite. The Lord will always provide.

Something else that I figured out as well was my studies. My studies just weren't working well for me. They were scattered and Sister Call was able to help

Also our smile challenge results were this: 25% of the people that we would wave and smile at would actually smile back. Where is the happiness?!

I ate at my first restaurant here in Fleming Island with all of the Sister Missionaries in my zone last Monday. My first restaurant in seven weeks. That was really weird to think! We ate at a Mexican restaurant called La Nopelera. Rumor has it that all the Mexican restaurants in Florida are terrible, it's just not authentic, but this place is apparently the best Mexican food around Florida. And coming from me, as a native to Mexican food, and ordering the usual shrimp tacos, it was actually pretty good! So I will be returning to this restaurant in the future.

Sister Call and I were able to serve Jackie and Walt on Saturday. There was a dessert auction going on in order to raise funds for the Young Women to go to Girl's camp. We helped Jackie make chocolates. It always feels so good to serve others. We shared a spiritual message with Jackie and Walt all about Mosiah 2:17 "And behold I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." They are the epitome of serving others and the spirit was so strong when we were sharing that message. I just love them. The gospel of Jesus Christ is true! 
This ward activity potluck dinner with a dessert auction was one of the most brilliant ideas for raising money for Girl's camp. Each of the Young Women made a dessert from home and even some of the ward members contributed in making desserts for the auction. They auctioned off about 20 desserts to the people that came and one of the highest bids was $75.00. It was a wonderful night full of complete generosity of the ward members support in helping the Young Women get to camp.

I will also never understand this weather. Ever. Beautiful sunshine to dark clouds up to no good in just one hour. And the same routine over and over again. Humidity and mist. On the way over to church yesterday morning, Sister Call and I watched the most beautiful sunrise we had ever seen. We couldn't help but to say God loves us. The beauty of the Earth and all of Heavenly Father's creations always remind me of how much he loves me and every one of His children.  We could look directly at the sun and see the outline of it and it wouldn't blind us or leave us seeing dark spots when we looked away. It was beautiful. The Florida Sun is breath taking.

This is the first time that I have been counting down the days that it would finally be Monday because I knew that I would find out where my brother Skyeler would be serving his mission. I got on this computer and the first email I looked for was Skyeler's! He is going to the Peru Arequipa mission!! I am so excited for him! Best news. Missions are amazing. I am learning so much out here it's hard to describe in words how much my life has changed in the past seven weeks I've been gone. I just LOVE it. The Book of Mormon has the fullness of the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ. As you read, ponder, and pray about it, you will receive a power witness from the Holy Ghost that it is true. I have come to know for myself that it is true.

I love you all and I'm praying for you.

Love Sister McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment