Learn more about Mormons

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Week 10 ~ April 28, 2014



Sister McCook and Sister Call




Summer is here. 85 degrees and full force humidity. I am loving Florida oh so much! Time is really flying by too quickly though. Sometimes I would like it to slow down!

My training that I gave to the missionaries on Tuesday went really well! Compared to my first training that I gave three weeks into the mission field where I was kind of like a deer in the headlights, I have seen some huge progress in that and I feel as if I am becoming more comfortable with teaching. I have also found that sometimes, the teacher learns more than the hearer. I learned something about likening the scriptures as I was giving my training and studying this week. You can liken the scriptures to everything and anything that goes on in your life: family relationships, what goes on at school, church callings, sickness, a goal that you are trying to achieve, etc. The best learning experience that comes from it, in my opinion, is patience. Right now, I am trying to apply the stories of Alma & Amulek and Ammon & the sons of Mosiah and all their missionary experiences, to the area I am serving in. Before I read, I always pray. Sometimes I read the Book of Mormon, trying my best to apply their stories to Fleming Island, and I won't find things that apply to my life as a full time missionary right now. And that's okay because maybe I wasn't suppose to learn things that day of study, but when I do find things, it is the most glorious adventure that I can have with the Book of Mormon. Heavenly Father reveals things to us "line upon line, precept upon precept", not paragraph by paragraph or page by page. Try this out! It is so worth it, liken the scriptures to an aspect of your life and you will have some of the greatest "AHA" moments ever. Write them down and remember the Spirit that you felt as you do this.

As part of my 12 week training program, I am especially looking forward to this week. By the way, it's week 11. What?! Time flies. The reason I am excited to do this is because the weekly application is that I am taking the lead in all planning and teaching situations. I thought it would be scary but it really isn't. Yesterday I took the lead in all teaching situations which meant that if we didn't have a set appointment when a message was already planned, then the companion who takes the lead, shares a spiritual message on the spot. I had one set appointment yesterday and two unplanned appointments and I had some of the greatest experiences from sharing spiritual messages. I find that if I go into a home, focusing on what the person or family needs, then I know exactly what message I need to share, and the lesson is completely led by the Spirit.

Sister Call and I have a motto, "Be Happy and Smile". One of my favorite quotes is from President Gordon B. Hinckley: "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." There is so much about life to enjoy and be happy for. Heavenly Father gave us this wonderful Earth to live on and experience happiness and joy throughout our lives. It doesn't mean we won't experience sorrow and pain, we will, but it is so we can grow. Heavenly Father loves us so much that he allows us to fall so that he can help us to learn how to stand. God's love is unconditional and infinite for each and every one of us.

Next Sunday is the dedication of the Fort Lauderdale temple so I'm excited to be able to attend that next Sunday. There are three sessions and we are going to the 12:00 session.

I love being a missionary. I wake up every morning with the greatest joy knowing that I am a missionary for the Lord Jesus Christ.

I love all of you and keep you in my prayers!

Love always, Sister McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment