Learn more about Mormons

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Week 4 ~ March 17, 2014

Hello family! Thank you so much for the package! I loved seeing the book that Mom created, The Power of Everyday Missionaries Book, the Taki's, my favorite Easter candy, the airborne, the gift card...that was so thoughtful of you thank you so so much.


Time in the Mission Field just flies. I wake up at 6:30 in the morning and next thing I know, I'm back in the apartment already going back to sleep! I cannot believe that I am already back here in the library writing yet another email!


This week has been so beautiful. It's like daylight savings time happened and all of a sudden it's so warm and no rain throughout this entire week, except for today...it's just pouring!

I would like to share with you one of my favorite things that I studied this week out of the Book of Mormon. I have never been much of a journal writer, or in general a good writer. I was pondering a question as I was studying on why it would be so important to record the ways that I've seen God's hand in my life. As I was reading in 1 Nephi 17, Nephi was commanded by The Lord to build a ship so that his family would be able to make to the promised land (Americas). Nephi asked God where he should get the tools that he needed to build this boat and The Lord told him exactly where to get the tools and how to construct this ship. As Nephi was building this ship, his brothers, Laman and Lemuel, saw that Nephi was building this ship and began to mock him and tell him that there is no way that he could do such a thing through the help of the Lord because they did not believe he could accomplish such a thing. Nephi then begins to share an account of their family history that explains all the many ways that their ancestors were able to be lead out of captivity by Moses because the Lord commanded them that he should lead them out of captivity. As Moses obeyed ALL things that the Lord commanded him, they witnessed many miracles and their lives were in the Lord's hands as long as they continued to live righteously. This account completely answered my question. If these stories had not been recorded, Nephi wouldn't have anything to look back upon to see how the Lord worked mighty miracles in his ancestor's lives. The Book of Mormon is the Word of God. It gives answers to life's questions and there is truth splurging from within each and every word that is written. This Book was written for our day. I have begun to keep a journal where I write one miracle a day because I want my posterity to be able to the ways that God's hand was in my life just as Nephi was able to do the same. So I challenge all of you to record the blessings that you see in your life everyday. I promise that when your future generations look back on those amazing experiences that you had, they will be inspired to do the same.


Sister Call and I have been very blessed to have opportunities to do service. On Wednesdays, we are able to volunteer at a local library in Fleming Island for two hours shelving books, movies, and whatever the managers ask us to do! We enjoy it a lot! Another service project that we were able to do on Friday was to help Jackie make chocolates to take to a Relief Society activity that occurred this Saturday. Jackie was so thankful that she was able to share her talent with us and that just melted my heart. I just love Jackie and Walt. As we were in their home, we continually invited them to attend church with us this Sunday and they said they would attend! On Sunday morning as we were greeting the members at the door, it was time to go sit down and Jackie and Walt hadn't arrived. When sacrament meeting began, there were many families still coming through the doors, and yet I still hadn't seen Jackie and Walt. All of a sudden, I turn my head, and there they are walking into the chapel coming to sit next to Sister Call and I. I do not think I have ever smiled this big in my life. This was definitely the highlight of my week and a sure miracle.


Sister Call and I made a goal for this week: To count how many people will actually smile at us. A lot of people do not want to smile at us surprisingly. It's like they're not happy!


I have to go already, but I'm so thankful to be serving the people out here. I'm praying for all of you!


Love Sister McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment