Learn more about Mormons

Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 27 ~ August 25, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

This week was the 'Best Week Ever

I have a testimony of praying specifically for certain things. For example, for the last couple of months, I have been praying for opportunities to serve someone. We were blessed triple fold this week. We received not one, but three opportunities to serve. We drove about 15 miles to go serve in Middleburg. There were 12 missionaries there doing a yard work project alongside two members, for a very sweet elderly man named Earl. It was a surprise to him to see all of these missionaries out there in his yard. I loved seeing the joy on his face. My heart was so happy to be doing yard work. I have been praying for this for so long. Below is a picture of all of us.  We also served at a baptism and served a group in a time of need.






Whenever I think of service, I immediately think of the Savior. My mind is completely focused on Him and the kind of example that he is. That was the main focus at a meeting that was held this past Wednesday. The theme was Personal Discipleship. Something that I learned is that Christlike attributes are gifts of the Spirit. There are so many Christlike attributes. Think of Christlike attributes as I list some-Faith, Hope, Charity, Love, Patience, Humility, Knowledge, Obedience, Virtue, Diligence, Selflessness, Trust, Self-control, meekness, etc. We can develop these Christlike attributes as we have the 'mind of Christ'. How do we become more like him? Through prayer. Through accessing His Atonement. Trying our best to emulate Him.

Sean, the nine year old that we have been working with is entering in to the waters of baptism on September 14! He is so excited. I have enjoyed teaching him. He was able to attend a baptism this past Saturday to see what it is going to be like for him. He is a very smart boy and has been well taught in primary. This just came to mind right now as I was typing, before I came out on my mission, I had a Church calling in the primary. I taught the 5 and 6 year olds all about Jesus Christ. I know now and have a confirmation that this calling prepared me to teach Sean. I know that whatever Church callings we are given, they are truly inspired and will help prepare us for things that we will do in our lives. Most importantly, Church callings are there for us to serve others and help each other progress on their way back to our Heavenly Father. At the same time, as we lose ourselves in our callings, we are being shaped into the people that Heavenly Father wants us to become. 

I love being a missionary so much. It is my world, Fleming Island has my heart. I have learned for myself and know what true joy is. I want to be a missionary forever. I can't wait to be a missionary forever.



Love, Sister McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment