Learn more about Mormons

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 26 ~ August 18, 2014


Dear Family & Friends,


I have been learning a lot more about prayer this past week. I have been studying this general conference talk called, 'Using the Supernal Gift of Prayer' by Richard G. Scott. Prayer is a gift from God. I never thought of prayer like that but it absolutely is a divine gift. To be able to communicate with a loving Father in Heaven every day and receiving answers from Him is such a blessing. We can express the feelings of our hearts and ask for things and He freely gives. Prayer has been such a blessing in my life. If you ever feel like you can't tell if you are receiving answers, this scripture always gives me comfort.


2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
3 Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground.


This is a promise. We can find answers to our prayers simply by listening and being patient. Pay attention to how you feel and the thoughts that come into your mind as you pray. They will come.


Here is the link to the talk, I love it so much.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/04/using-the-supernal-gift-of-prayer?lang=eng


We had a very fun ward activity this past Saturday. It's one that they do annually. It's called the 'Women Appreciation Dinner". All women were invited to come gather at the church and enjoy a chicken & ribs dinner, prepared and served by the men. It was so nice. We sat at a table with a Patricia, Teresa, and Teresa brought two friends-Debbie and Ann. I had met them before at Teresa's home. They are so great! We were able to give them a church tour! It was a spur of the moment thing, but it was such a lovely, spiritual experience. They enjoyed the large pictures that were around the building. They said that they would be happy to come to church a few times with Teresa in the future. 


Here is a fun story. We were doing service at the Clay County headquarters library in Fleming Island and we were shelving books in the Young Adult section. I was shelving on one side and Sister Ashcraft went over on the other side near the graphic novels section. I knelt down to shelve a book on the bottom shelf and all of a sudden I hear a voice talking. It was very very high voice, almost like a screech. It was a voice that I had never heard before and I realized she was talking to Sister Ashcraft on the other side asking where the newspapers were, but Sister Ashcraft couldn't understand her. I stood up and walked behind the shelf and there was this two and a half foot tall elderly woman talking to her. I did not expect that. She turned to me and asked where the newspapers were, I smiled really big and I showed them to her and that was the end of it. We aren't able to share the gospel in the library, but it was sweet to serve her. Then later on, I figured out that she was one of the munchkins from the Wizard of Oz. So Cute!


Also don't forget to participate in this Facebook event happening on Saturday, August 23. EVERYONE is invited. Simply share a picture of yourself with a photo of Jesus Christ and post why you follow Him with the hashtag: #IFollowHim. https://www.facebook.com/events/917012334981525/


Today marks the day that in exactly one year, I will be on a plane home. I can't believe that it's already one year left. I just want to be a missionary forever! I love being a missionary. I love meeting and talking to people about Jesus Christ everyday. Serving a mission has been the best decision that I have ever made in my life. 


I love all of you.
Study the scriptures everyday.
See you in a year!


Love, Sister McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment