Learn more about Mormons

Monday, April 27, 2015

April 27, 2015 ~ Week 62 (Week 8 Mandarin 1st Ward)



Dear Family & Friends,

I have been having great studies in the Book of Mormon lately and thought I would share an "aha" moment with you!  I can never get tired of the Book of Mormon because it is like an exploded fire hydrant of revelation for my life and the lives of people I currently have stewardship over.

It was during a tradeoff I had in Lake Butler on Friday.  I happened to be in 3 Nephi 11.  I had some of the greatest aha moments as I read but my favorite one comes from 3 Nephi 11:3-5.  This chapter is the crowning event in the Book of Mormon and what is happening within these few first verses is that the announcement of the resurrected Lord about to appear to them is happening.  The people can hear a voice, they cannot understand it but they can powerfully feel it in their hearts.  They hear it a second time, but still cannot understand it.  The third time they "did open their ears to hear it..." I think that more often when we approach people and talk with them about the restored gospel, they don't understand our message when we explain and bear testimony about it time and time again, but they understand what they feel and know it is coming from God.  They soon come to an understanding of it.  I know that this happens to each and every one of us.  We have to listen to something over and over again until it finally clicks and all of the pieces of the puzzle fall into place.  I love the Book of Mormon and I know the power and truth of it cannot be denied.

During a tradeoff I had with Sister Montgomery who is serving in the Gainesville Young Singles Adult ward, we stayed in my area. We had so much fun talking with everyone about the restored gospel but most of the time we did not find the part of success in people allowing us to teach them more.  The next day it was about two hours before we had to drive back to Gainesville, and all I wanted was for this trade off to be a miraculous experience for this Sister and that we would be granted with miracles to teach people who will listen and keep commitments.  We felt prompted to go try a woman named Erica who Sister Kloepfer and I actually met at the gas station about two weeks back.  She let us right in and let us teach her the Restoration.  She was crying when we were talking about the Book of Mormon and specifically when Jesus Christ comes to America.  She thinks that is the neatest thing ever and cannot get enough about hearing and reading this account in the scriptures.

 On our way back home to quickly grab some lunch and run out the door to drive to Gainesville, we pulled in and saw Tony, who is actually a man that Sister Kloepfer and I found in between the Saturday General Conference sessions.  We taught him about the Book of Mormon and as he read the last two paragraphs of the Introduction, he said, "Whoa that is an awesome promise."  I can't exactly remember what he said when we asked him what stuck out to him as he read that, but I do remember how much his eyes beamed as he shared what he learned.  We are going back to teach him and his wife tonight.

We have just started a youth activity that happens every other week.  We have volleyball and the purpose of it is to encourage the youth to take missionary moments and invite their friends to come.  This past Thursday, two of the youth came up to us and said, this is our friend Andrea. She has a Book of Mormon and wants to know how to read it.  Miracle!  She is so great!  It would be fun to teach her the lessons, but she totally lives in a different area.  She had a great time at volleyball and there were quite a few unfamiliar faces there so it was fun to interact with everyone.  I will attach a picture.  It is quite a bit blurry, but it makes me laugh every time I look at it.


This month is "Expect Mighty Miracle May".  Where each companionship in the mission is going to have a baptism in May.  Sister Kloepfer and I are doing everything we can to find someone to be baptized in May or whenever they are ready.  It seems like every truthfully seeking person we find doesn't live in our area.  Will you pray that we will find someone who is ready to be baptized on May 24th?


Love, Sister McCook


No comments:

Post a Comment