Learn more about Mormons

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

January 12, 2015 ~ Week 47 (2nd week Arlington)

Week 2 Arlington

Hello Family & Friends!
Every week just seems to be getting better and better.
This week we had a Zone meeting.  There were 22 missionaries gathered together--we are called the Jax East Zone.  My companion Sister Murray, two Elders, and I are assigned to give training's to these 22 missionaries once a month because of the leadership positions we are in.  So this one was my first training ever in front of this many missionaries.  And President Craig attended!  I chose to give training on "Opening your mouth and talking with everyone: about the gospel."  I was so excited to give this training!  President Craig has counseled us that our mission must become a finding mission.  It is true because how are we going to invite people to baptism when we have no one to teach?  I was so excited to give this training to share how we can be better at talking with everyone.  That in it of itself was a nature that was hard for me to develop, but as I was able to set goals and have many trial and error situations, as well as diligent study and love of the gospel.  My confidence grew.  That process will help anyone.  My first training was great! There was so much participation and we feel like the missionaries were inspired and enabled...the only thing was that because I took the lead in the role-plays, my training ended up being 45 minutes long!!! We as leaders laughed about it in the end as we discussed it…There is always something to learn.
In addition to this wonderful zone meeting, Sister Murray and I received a text from Church Head Quarters saying that we needed to go visit this man named Antonio because he requested a Bible and we were suppose to deliver it to him.  With the Bible and the Book of Mormon hand in hand, we knocked on his door.  He lives with his sister, Nygia and she has five kids-Christopher, DaShanna, David, Kenyotta, and little Zion.  They invited us in and accepted to listen to our message, the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  We invited them to be baptized and they have accepted this invitation.  Antonio, Nygia, and the three kids who are baptism age-Christopher, DaShanna, and David, will be baptized on February 14.  What a privilege and a blessing to see a family be baptized.  All it took was an invitation and the Spirit did the rest.  It's amazing to me how simple it is to invite and then share, because once the invitation is extended, that's half of the duty of missionary work.  So excited to be working with yet another family!
Tuesday was wonderful because this is how our service project went.  The Elders went to a members home, Justine & Sherrie and asked if they could borrow some rakes.  We then began raking and sweeping their front yard.  Six of us plus Grandma Williams because she wanted to serve :) it wasn't until about half way through that Justin and Sherrie realized what we had done. It's called a secret act of service.  Keep your eyes out this week for an opportunity to serve someone.  Whether it's a large project or something as simple as asking a stranger how their day is going.  I promise you will be filled with happiness and joy as did the Savior when he went about doing His Father's will.



Grandma Williams had fun serving with us on Tuesday! 31 extra large
bags of leaves. She served in the FJM back in 1995 as a Senior couple.
A third of her family makes up the Arlington Ward.

My mind is caught up on a certain scripture that applies to what my companion, Sister Murray is like.  2 Nephi 4:16 "Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard."  She is just an absolutely amazing advocate of the truth.  Her testimony of the Book of Mormon is so powerful and pure.  I love to serve with her.
This is my greatest joy.  To have this black name tag with the Lord Jesus Christ's name on it, pinned on my shoulder every day.

Love, Sister McCook




No comments:

Post a Comment