Learn more about Mormons

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

November 24, 2014 ~ Week 40


Hello, Hello family & friends!
Happy Thanks giving to you all.

We were invited to a home for dinner this past week and there were 7 of us. Two of the seven were deaf and four (including Sister Dixon) knew sign language so we had the neatest experience. Their names were Donald and Diane. Diane has been learning about the gospel. I sat beside Diane and she taught me sign language because I was one of the one's who didn't know any. She told me to watch and that I would be able to pick it up. She was right, and she was very patient with me. I wanted to share a scripture with them, but I wanted to sign it to them. It is one of my favorite verses in the Book of Mormon. Jacob 3:2 "Oh all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm forever." I signed it to them, with their help and eventually did it on my own. Sign language is a very beautiful language.

I had the most beautiful experience yesterday as five people entered into the waters of baptism and are now members of the St. Augustine Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This experience reminded me of the 'waters of Mormon'. That record found in the book of Mosiah in the Book of Mormon is about a prophet named Alma who gained a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and taught it to as many as would learn and hearken to his words. And as many that wanted to follow the commandment from Jesus Christ to be baptized and enter into a covenant with God, were baptized in water by the prophet who held the authority. There were about 204 people who were baptized. What happened in St. Augustine Ward yesterday was like a mini 'waters of Mormon' experience.

 



I wanted to share a scripture that my sister actually shared with me this week-and what she said along with it.
Alma 37:36. It's just saying to always turn to the Lord, because he will be with us every step of the way to comfort us.
This was definitely something that I experienced this week. In all circumstances whether we are struggling, getting along just fine, or prospering--we are invited to turn to the Lord and He will give us an abundance of comfort. I learned something. If we choose not to pray, Heavenly Father can get along just fine without hearing us pray because He knows exactly how to help us without us asking Him. Will He be sad to not hear from His children? Of course, He will be devastated. Prayer is something that WE need. When our prayers are specific, we receive specific blessings. Our faith in Heavenly Father and what He can do for us will increase as we pray.

Take the time this week to express gratitude toward our Heavenly Father for all of the many things you are grateful for in your life. You will find that more and more things will be revealed to you in your mind that you are grateful for, that you didn't even think of, while you are praying.


Love, Sister McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment