Learn more about Mormons

Thursday, October 30, 2014

October 28, 2014 ~ Week 36





Hello my family and friends! I had started to get worried in the beginning of the week, just wondering if what I was doing was enough. For some reason, it troubled me, although I knew that my service was acceptable before the Lord.  I decided to kneel in humble prayer and ask Heavenly Father for a confirmation of my service.  How could I know that what I was doing was enough?  As I closed my prayer and pondered for a minute, the scripture Doctrine & Covenants 58:3 kept repeating in my mind.  I did not know why, nor did I even know what that scripture was because I am not too familiar with all of the scriptures in the Doctrine & Covenants (the Doctrine & Covenants is revelation given to Joseph Smith from Jesus Christ and it is recorded for the members of the church and all who desire to read it).  I ran to my scriptures and turned to it, wondering why the Spirit would put that reference into my mind.  "Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation." (Doctrine & Covenants 58:3).  This was an answer to my prayer. Sometimes we may feel like what we are doing is not enough, whatever circumstance it might be in your life.  I have an analogy; I hope that you can understand it because it made sense to me.  At a service project this weekend, serving with 9 other missionaries, there was a lake behind the woman's home where we could just look at it and the beauty around.  It had been a long time that I have seen a lake.  I stared out into the water; Elders were throwing sticks in the water.  Then this one Elder through in a pinecone, I watched as it sunk right offhand and its' effect made a circular ripple wave that began at the clash and then spread far out.  I imagined myself doing a cannonball into a pool.  All I know is the effect that I made when I jumped in, but cannot see the ripple effect that the waves had on the rest of the water because I'm still down under.  I may not be able to see the effect with my 'natural eyes', but God can. After having that experience with prayer, God blessed me with so many opportunities to serve this weekend.  All of which were different events and circumstances, but it was the absolute best.  I thought of the Savior as I participated in these service activities: 'First observe, then serve' Helping a grandmother put a trunk full of groceries into her home while she was taking care of her grand child. Cleaning a backyard. Cleaning three homes to help a home be a heaven on earth. Painting a home with my fellow missionaries whom I serve with as well as loading a moving truck for 'Make a Difference Day'. The most rewarding part was that we were able to develop friendships with each of these families and individuals as the Savior would do with us if He were serving alongside us.  He would get to know us and our interests and dislikes.  Most of all, we were still able to accomplish all that we needed to the rest of the day even though some of these opportunities to serve were spontaneous.  When we give of our time to serve others, God will bless us with even more time to accomplish all that we need to. Why?  Because 'when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God' (Mosiah 2:17). Serving is a Christ like attribute.  I learned that it stems off of the Christ like attribute of 'charity'-which is the pure love of Christ.  It's more than just the big projects (even though those are extremely helpful) when helping our fellow brothers and sisters, but it's the small and simple things that brighten somebody else's day or lightens a load whether it is spiritually or physically.  For example, serving through kind words and gestures.  There is a member who lives in a nursing home, cannot walk. When she serves someone, she expresses loving words and smiles to those around her. Others can see the light of Christ within her and will feel loved through her efforts.  The invitation is to; find another way to serve a little more than the day before. The counsel from the prophet Thomas S. Monson always plays back in my mind.  To commit each day to do and be a little better, blessings will be showered upon you as you do this simple, but sweet commandment. We are looking forward to November 23, which is the day that April and her son Brice will be baptized! Please keep this family in your prayers as they are preparing to enter into the waters of baptism and make those covenants with a God, which will bless them for eternity. I love all of you and I would love to hear from you as well!Write me and I will write back to you. 1845 Old Moultrie #43 St. Augustine, FL 32084 Love, Sister McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment